Below are some links that may be helpful to you and your children. This list is by no means an exhaustive list. We will update it as we find new links and helpful information. There are lots of websites, tools, links, apps, and so much more being developed everyday that is nearly impossible to keep up. If you have any suggestions for links that you have found helpful please feel free to send them along to us.
Promoting family activities and events...
www.valleyfamilyfun.ca - A great website to find out what is happening in the area for families. The site includes links to events, activities, recreation programs, clubs, and other resources for families.
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Extensive information, resources and tips for children, adolescents, adults and parents about ADHD.
- an online platform for informing and instructing parents on how to enrich and enhance their kids’ digital play time.
- XtraMath is a nonprofit organization dedicated to math achievement for all. Our goal is to develop effective, efficient, adaptive and intrinsically rewarding supplemental math activities and make them available for free.
- Poptropica® is a virtual world in which kids explore and play in complete safety. Every month, millions of kids from around the world are entertained and informed by Poptropica's engaging quests, stories, and games.
Separation and Divorce
This website offers information relating to the law, processes, and services that make up family law in Nova Scotia. This website will help you understand your family law issue and will provide the tools to allow you to navigate the options available to help solve your problem. The section on helping kids provides great links to information for children and parents.
Ways to Help Kids = www.nsfamilylaw.ca/other/ways-help-my-kids
Making plans: A guide to parenting arrangements after separation or divorce - How to put your children first
This guide is published by the Department of Justice Canada, and provides information about parenting after separation and divorce, including:
- how to decide on the best parenting arrangement for your children
- what processes you can use to come to a parenting arrangement
- what you (parents) may be feeling
- what your children may be feeling (different ages/stages)
A website which includes resources and information about self-injury behaviour. The residential program is US based and is not something that is available in our area. However, the information is very helpful in educating people about self-injury and how to respond.
A Parent Educational Opportunity Part 1 Dr. Wendy Lader co- founder of S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® and co-author of Bodily Harm: The Breakthrough Healing Program for Self-Injurers, offers an educational Webinar for parents. Listen as the world renowned expert on self injury answers the tough questions…"What is self injury?", "Why is my child self-injuring?", "How can I help?", "Is this behavior lethal?", "What resources are available?", and so much more…. This Webinar is a PowerPoint presentation which runs approximately 33 minutes.